Well Managed Cities & Positive Impact on Health
Cities are the main drivers of national development and present opportunities to transform a nation’s health. If well managed, cities can be engines of development for national economies, hubs for technological innovation and centers of positive social progress.
Opportunities for healthy and sustainable urbanization:
- Implement evidence-based programs at the local level and scale them to reduce disease prevalence and incidence
- Develop public-private solutions to create integrated health and social services that are high quality and affordable
- Increase opportunities for pioneering solutions in alternative energy
- Promote innovative policies that change the built environment to promote health and minimize risk of violence and injury
- Support advocacy efforts that encourage good governance, allowing all sectors to come together to enhance access to healthy foods, clean water, sanitation, and social engagement
- Educate and train global leaders in evidence-based and locally relevant solutions to minimize inequities in opportunities.
ISUH: Developing healthy, equitable cities for all
ISUH is the only global professional organization in the world that focuses exclusively on the broad determinants of urban health. Your membership can help us develop and sustain ISUH as an independent voice of our global, transdisciplinary members and strategic partners for health equity in urban settings.